Zcash Version 2.0.0 Released Paving the Way for ‘Sapling’ Upgrade
Privacy focused cryptocurrency Zcash is preparing for a major upgrade with the first release of network software compatible with its upcoming Sapling hard fork.
Zcash version 2.0.0 was released Thursday, August 17, according to a blog post penned by Sean Bowe, an engineer with the Zerocoin Electric Coin Company.
We’re proud to announce Zcash 2.0.0, the first Sapling-compatible version of the Zcash node software! This includes the official Sapling activation height of 419200 which targets the 2 year anniversary of the Zcash network: October 28, 2018! ??Read more: https://t.co/OFMVCU94Sq
— Zcash Company (@zcashco) August 16, 2018
“This release is consensus-compatible with the Sapling network upgrade, and so we’re encouraging all users and miners to upgrade as soon as possible. The first block of Sapling will be block 419200, which is expect to be mined on the 28th of October 2018, the second anniversary of Zcash’s official launch,” Sean Bowe wrote.
The v2.0.0 software upgrade includes experimental support for remote procedure calls – by which code can execute on a remote computer as if it was called locally – although full support will not be available until the 2.0.1 release.
It also fixes a bug which slowed some Zcash nodes syncing to the network when banning peers. The function “was introduced to mitigate against a class of [denial of service] attacks from Sprout nodes,” Bowe wrote. The new software instead just ignores invalid transactions.
The Sapling upgrade is also intended to significantly reduce the storage requirements for private transactions and update the blockchain’s zk-snarks cryptography to make it more secure.
Zcash’s previous Overwinter hard fork, executed on June 26, was expected to be a trial run for Sapling, and included a number of software improvements.
Subscribe to our Newsletter<
- Retracing Monero’s Steps in 2019
- Will Monero, Dash, Zcash, And Other Private Coins Be Delisted?
- Ycash, Hardfork of Privacy Focused Cryptocurrency Zcash, Is Live
- ForkLog Exclusive: Without Fungibility Mass Adoption of Bitcoin is Just a Vision – Wasabi Wallet
- Coinbase Adds Privacy-Focused Zcash to its Pro Trading Exchange
- The New Zcash Sapling Protocol Is Now Live After Successful Network Upgrade
- ING Bank Introduces Open-Source Zero Knowledge Technology for Blockchain Privacy
- Cryptohippie Co-Founder Paul Rosenberg: Decentralized Crypto Systems Will Allow Future to Happen