ZCash Releases Alpha for Untraceable Cryptocurrency
ZCash developers ammounced the realease of an alpha-version for cryptocurrency Zcash previously known as Zerocoin or Zerocash.
The cryptography underlying the altcoin, employs so-called proof of zero knowledge. As opposed to bitcoin, which provides for pseudonymity of transactions, Zcash, according to its developers, may guarantee complete anonymity while retaining all positive features of bitcoin, like transparency and prevention of double spending.
“Consumers want to buy and sell things over the Internet and need privacy from snoops who might use the knowledge of their transactions against them. This is the first time you can transact with anyone on the Internet, and control over who gets to find out about those transactions is solely in your hands,” said Zooko Wilcox, the project lead.
Speaking to Wired, Wilcox stressed that currently Zcash network doesn’t yet represent actual money, only a “test net” designed to give Zcash a chance to iron out its bugs before anyone makes investments in the cryptocurrency . The full-fledged launch of the project is expected in six months’ time.
Among sponsors of the initial research were Israeli Ministry of Science and Technology, U.S. Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA), the Air Force Research Laboratory, Skolkovo Foundation and others. The Advisors Board of ZCash includes such prominent figures in the crypto world as Gavin Andresen and Vitalik Buterin.
Subscribe to our Newsletter<
- The Watchful Eye of Chainalysis: How Bitcoins Get Dirty and How It May Affect You
- Resurrection of Altcoins Presumed Dead Is No Zombie Apocalypse but Something Else
- Crypto-Anarchist Smuggler: A Lot of the Cryptocurrency Politics Is Not About Privacy, but About Economics
- How To Spot a Shitcoin?
- Retracing Monero’s Steps in 2019
- Will Monero, Dash, Zcash, And Other Private Coins Be Delisted?
- Ycash, Hardfork of Privacy Focused Cryptocurrency Zcash, Is Live
- ForkLog Exclusive: Without Fungibility Mass Adoption of Bitcoin is Just a Vision – Wasabi Wallet