Waves Platform Raises $120 Million for Vostok Private Blockchain Development
Waves Platform, a public blockchain network that enables digital startups to create tokens, has announced it raised $120 million to roll out a private version of its Vostok system for corporations and governments.
https://t.co/2SqTPaGOO2 #Vostok, a one billion dollar project in #Waves ecosystem, has closed the first funding round. 3% of VST system tokens will be airdropped to $Waves holders. Waves is becoming the first #WEB3 company with a versatile product pipeline.
— Sasha Ivanov (@sasha35625) December 19, 2018
According to a Bloomberg report, the fundraising round was led by London-based financial services group Dolfin, and also included a number of other private investors.
“The cryptocurrency rush is over now, while the idea of using a decentralized network to store data and cut costs is still relevant,” said Alexander Ivanov, the CEO of Waves Platform.
Large firms and state entities often find the speed and security level of public blockchains to be insufficient, he added, pointing out that so-called private blockchains, which have limited numbers of users, protect data better.
Vostok, similar to the International Business Machines Corp.-led Hyperledger in the U.S., will focus on Europe, Asia and the former USSR, expecting its first projects in the beginning of 2019, Ivanov said.
The platform’s own cryptocurrency, Waves, jumped over 60 percent to $4.50 in the past 24 hours, and with a market value of about $420 million it was ranked 19th on CoinMarketCap.
Founded in Switzerland by Russian engineer Sasha Ivanov, Waves Platform has benefited from a recent boom of initial coin offerings that let firms create and sell tokens via its distributed-ledger technology, which it describes as a fast and easy-to-use blockchain.
Back in 2016, the company itself raised nearly $16 Million through a crowdsale.
Subscribe to our Newsletter<
- Forklog Exclusive – Tim Draper on Privacy Coins and Why Bitcoin Will Reach $250,000
- Waves Platform Opens Discussions with Malta Government on Tokenization of Financial Assets
- Waves Platform Smart Contracts Launched on Testnet
- Waves Lab Participant Simdaq Raises $5 million via ICO
- Waves Platform Launches Venture Capital Fund Focusing on Crypto-Assets
- Waves Platform to Launch a New Self-Regulatory Body Aimed at Developing ICO Standards
- Burger King Russia Launches Whoppercoin Token
- Waves Platform Strikes Strategic Partnership with Gazprombank Digital