The New Zcash Sapling Protocol Is Now Live After Successful Network Upgrade
Developers behind Zcash blockchain announced successful Sapling hard fork, which introduces new shielded addresses with significantly improved performance.
The privacy-focused coin’s upgrade went live at a block height of 419200, reducing by some 90 per cent length of the construction process of a transaction, and a memory reduction of over 97 per cent.
Success! We’re happy to announce that the #Zcash Sapling network upgrade activated today at block height 419200. #Sapling introduces new #shielded addresses with significantly improved performance. Learn more: https://t.co/IGoqNdlz3N pic.twitter.com/6VpKcMteCa
— Zcash Company (@zcashco) 29 October 2018
“Sapling activation, occurring on the momentous occasion of the currency’s second birthday, brings us one step closer to widespread adoption of an open, permissionless and private payment system,” the official announcement reads.
Zcash version 2.0.0 compatible with the Sapling upgrade was released on August 17.
The Sapling upgrade brings other tangible benefits to users, such as parameters generated by an improved ceremony and the BLS12-381 curve, which benefits all shielded address users. However, at the moment funds cannot be transferred from legacy shielded addresses to the new Sapling shielded addresses without revealing amounts, the developers say.
“This allows us to audit the monetary base of ZEC held in shielded addresses. We are developing a tool to automate the migration of funds in a way that allows users to minimize the impact on their privacy. We recommend that users wait for the release of this tool,” the blog post added.
The Zcash blockchain and its coin (ZEC) went live in October 2016 with a focus on privacy by using zero-knowledge proofs. Zcash was the first big application of zk-SNARKs, a variation of zero-knowledge proofs that allow them to be used in blockchains and reduce their size and the computational strain on the network.
Last month, Ethereum co-founder Vitalik Buterin suggested that zk-SNARKs tech could be used to help scale the second largest cryptocurrency.
Subscribe to our Newsletter<
- Whales Transfer Over 700K ETH in ‘Pre-Pump Positioning’
- Chess Ex-Champion Garry Kasparov: Bitcoin is Natural Choice in Fight Against Human Rights Violations
- Antifa Threatened With Extremist Status: No Longer Thinks Bitcoin Is an Alt-Right Currency Antifa and BLM Will Make Bitcoin Edgy Again
- Will Bitcoin Always Be #1?
- Trading with Bybit: Liquidation, Margin, and USDT Contracts
- Eastern European Hacker Group Stole $200m From Crypto Exchanges via Supply-Chain Attack
- Are RSA and Cryptocurrencies Safe Despite Quantum Computing Progress?
- North Korea’s Hacker Army Is Just as Serious as Nukes and It’s Keen on Stealing Your Crypto