EU starts the €1 Million Blockchain Task Force
According to European Parliament budget amendments, the draft amendment was tabled by MEP Jakob von Weizsäcker of Committee on Economic and Monetary Affairs. He claims that effectuation will cost €1 million.
Weizsäcker justifies the costs:
“More than one billion euros have been invested in DLT and regulators as well as legislators lack the technical expertise and capacity fully to understand the technology and its potentials. This can lead to harmful decisions: Too early hard regulatory measures would stifle innovation and hamper its potential. Waiting too long might lead to a materialization of (systemic) risks. Therefore, it is essential to build up sufficient regulatory capacities based on technical excellence.”
This Task Force will focus on supporting the governmental applications in the field of distributed ledger technology(DLT). The decision of adopting DLT was made earlier this year. However, there are still risks such as the legal uncertainty surrounding new applications of DLT.
Jakob von Weizsäcker explained:
“A Task Force specifically dedicated horizontally to monitor DLT and its applications could provide the expertise necessary properly to counter risks without stifling innovation by means of premature regulatory intervention. The Task Force should aim at identifying standards for best practice and developing stress tests for applications that are set to become systemic as well as developing use cases for the application of the technology. A horizontal approach would help to identify potentials and risks associated directly with the technology and would create synergies in the workflow.”
Subscribe to our Newsletter<
- What Prompted Sudden Truce Between Telegram and Russian Watchdogs: Main Theories
- Germany Calls On EU Countries to Impose Cyber Sanctions On Russian Hackers
- Antifa Threatened With Extremist Status: No Longer Thinks Bitcoin Is an Alt-Right Currency Antifa and BLM Will Make Bitcoin Edgy Again
- How Police Spy on Protesters
- Internet as Battlefield: War Between Authoritarian and Democratic Paradigms for Digital Tomorrow
- Zuckerberg Urges EU to Outpace Chinese Model and Push Digital Platforms Regulations Based on Western Sets of Values
- Monument to Soviet Construction That Feeds Bitcoin Mining
- Identifying Gram: What Is Going on in Legal Battle Between Telegram and U.S. Financial Watchdog?