Bitcoin Sales in Russia Will Not Be Subject to Licensing Obligations
According to Alexei Moiseev, deputy minister for Russia’s ministry of finance, the department has no plans to issue licenses for bitcoin sales.
“There is every likelihood that bitcoin sales will take place under a general brokerage license which banks may have,” he told Rossiyskaya Gazeta.
Mr. Moiseev noted that the international practices were moving towards cryptocurrency regulation, which justifies ensuring protection against money laundering and consumer protection.
“International practices took a different approach. There’s perplexity in the world when it comes to cryptocurrencies. Leading nations have no idea what to do next. However, the most popular idea on the table is the one we have supported. Cryptocurrencies have to be regulated just like any other financial product. So, it’s about having AML measures in place, and introducing KYC rules. Second, it’s about ensuring consumer protection. That’s the direction we’re going to take. Hopefully, the government supports us,” he stated.
Mr. Moiseev stressed that bitcoin ban plans are not on the table.
“Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies have to be introduced into the legal terrain and legalized. It has to be a product one would normally buy in a bank. However, it’s more of a market development issue. If there’s a platform more efficient for that purpose than a bank, it should be it. We don’t intend to issue licenses for bitcoin sales,” he added.
Earlier this month, Elina Sidorenko, the head of the the Russian Central Bank’s working group on cryptocurrencies, said the Russian parliament is preparing a bill that, if passed, may legalize e-cash and establish legal grounds to open regulated cryptocurrency exchanges.
Subscribe to our Newsletter<
- Whales Transfer Over 700K ETH in ‘Pre-Pump Positioning’
- Chess Ex-Champion Garry Kasparov: Bitcoin is Natural Choice in Fight Against Human Rights Violations
- UK, U.S., and Canada Accuse Russia of Hacking Attacks to Steal Secret Research on Covid-19 Vaccine
- What Prompted Sudden Truce Between Telegram and Russian Watchdogs: Main Theories
- Trump Acknowledges 2018 Cyberattack Against Russian Troll Farm
- Germany Calls On EU Countries to Impose Cyber Sanctions On Russian Hackers
- Antifa Threatened With Extremist Status: No Longer Thinks Bitcoin Is an Alt-Right Currency Antifa and BLM Will Make Bitcoin Edgy Again
- Will Bitcoin Always Be #1?