Alleged Bitfinex Hacker Announces a Draw of 1,000 BTC
An anonymous Reddit user known by the nickname of rekcahxfb has provided the community an opportunity to win a Bitcoin fortune in a discussion on /r/Bitcoin.
The Jackpot amount comprises 1,000 BTC, which is worth nearly $582,000 at the time of writing. Anyone may participate just by providing their bitcoin addresses in the comments. The winner will be determined ‘randomly’.
The community suggested that the offer came from the hacker who had recently attacked Bitfinex. The idea can’t be considered totally ungrounded, as the anonym’s nickname is ‘bfxhacker’ spelled backwards. Some users believe that the move would allow the hacker to cover the tracks and even gain some sympathy from the community.
However, others state that the wallet specified in the discussion has nothing to do with the lost money, but contains only the money that had gone through mixers three years before the attack.
As a reminder, August 2, Hong Kong-based exchange Bitfinex suffered an attack resulting in theft of around 120,000 BTC, which caused Bitcoin price to abruptly fall.
Subscribe to our Newsletter<
- Is $1.1 Billion Transaction in Bitcoin That Big of a Deal?
- Hacker’s Loophole: Vulnerabilities That Cause Bitcoin Exchanges to Lose Millions
- Hackanatomy: Who Hacks Digital Systems and Why
- Ledger’s Charles Guillemet on Trezor/HTC Vulnerabilities and How to Hide in a Victim’s Closet While Hacking Ledger
- Eosfinex Opens for Trading, Launches on Mainnet EOS
- Bitfinex Raises $1 Billion Via Private Token Sale
- New Evidence Suggests Tether Has the Billions It Claimed – Report
- Price of Tether USDT Plummets to 18-Month Low as OKEx Adds Four Stable Coins