Alleged Bitfinex Hacker Announces a Draw of 1,000 BTC
An anonymous Reddit user known by the nickname of rekcahxfb has provided the community an opportunity to win a Bitcoin fortune in a discussion on /r/Bitcoin.
The Jackpot amount comprises 1,000 BTC, which is worth nearly $582,000 at the time of writing. Anyone may participate just by providing their bitcoin addresses in the comments. The winner will be determined ‘randomly’.
The community suggested that the offer came from the hacker who had recently attacked Bitfinex. The idea can’t be considered totally ungrounded, as the anonym’s nickname is ‘bfxhacker’ spelled backwards. Some users believe that the move would allow the hacker to cover the tracks and even gain some sympathy from the community.
However, others state that the wallet specified in the discussion has nothing to do with the lost money, but contains only the money that had gone through mixers three years before the attack.
As a reminder, August 2, Hong Kong-based exchange Bitfinex suffered an attack resulting in theft of around 120,000 BTC, which caused Bitcoin price to abruptly fall.
Subscribe to our Newsletter<
- New Report Reveals How Long Hackers Keep Using Compromised Accounts
- North Korean Hackers Create Crypto-Trading Apps to Steal Cryptocurrencies
- CipherTrace: Twitter Hackers Laundered Stolen Bitcoins Through Exchanges and Casinos
- 7th Hacker Congress in Prague to Seek Relief from Digital Totalitarianism
- Former GlobalHell Hacker: The Attack on Twitter Is Way Bigger than Anticipated
- UK, U.S., and Canada Accuse Russia of Hacking Attacks to Steal Secret Research on Covid-19 Vaccine
- Hack of the Decade: Shameless Bitcoin Scam or Something Much More Sinister?
- Germany Calls On EU Countries to Impose Cyber Sanctions On Russian Hackers